Freedom Quilt Classroom Video

Friday, March 4, 2011

Holocaust Monuments

As we finished the end of Chapter three in my Dog Lala, I left an assignment for my students to do viewing a holocaust monument and writing down their ideas about it's meaning based on what they saw in the photo. Gave them two views, a close up and one farther away. Did not tell them it had to do with the Holocaust, but some of them made the connection and are eager to share their views on what it means. Since the first workshop day for Making Freedom Monuments I have decided to put together a PowerPoint to compare other monuments relating to the Holocaust around the world and to use some of the techniques we learned about to compare those monuments. After reading my students first attempts at analyzing the picture I left for them I can see that some of them already have a little insight into the process of thinking. Also plan to do a writing piece about a personal hero to go along with our reading. Will first discuss character qualities seen in a hero and then see if they can relate and write about theses qualities in their personal hero.want to stick to real people but in one instance think I might let one student do a fictional superhero because that is something that he is very knowledgeable about and I think will make a better connection for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment